Homeless Education Liaison: Randee Garrett        Phone: 208-337-4033         email: rgarrett@homedaleschools.org

What Homeless Families Need to Know

Who is homeless? Anyone who, due to lack of housing, lives:
  • in emergency or transitional shelters
  • in motels, hotels, campgrounds, abandoned in hospitals, or awaiting foster care
  • in cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
  • doubled up with relatives or friends
  • migratory children living in these conditions
What are your rights?
  • Homeless children have a right to attend school.
  • You do not need a permanent address to enroll your child in school.
  • Homeless children have the right to stay in their home school if the parents choose.
  • Your child cannot be denied school enrollment just because school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
  • Your child has the opportunity to receive transportation services to and from the school of origin.
  • Your child has the right to participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible.
At school, ask about these special services:
  • Free breakfast and lunch programs
  • Tutoring programs
  • Programs to help children learn English
  • Gifted and talented programs
  • Summer school programs
  • Pre-school programs
  • After-school programs
  • Homeless assistance programs
  • Possible transportation assistance for children to remain in their home school.
What your family can do before you move:
  • Tell your child's teacher and principal that your child is moving and give them the new address.
  • Let school officials know if you want your child to stay in his/her home school while you are getting the family stabilized.
  • Ask for a copy of your child's school records, including immunizations.
  • Provide your child with an opportunity to say goodbye to friends.
Tips for families who move often:
  • Keep a copy of birth certificates and school records accessible.
  • Safeguard all health and immunization records.
  • Have a reliable person keep a second copy of the child's birth certificate, school records, and health information.
  • Enroll children in school as soon as possible.
  • Inform the new school about any special education records that pertain to your child.
Special Education:
Children with special needs between the ages of 3 and 21 are eligible to receive a free, appropriate education provided through the public school system. Parents who believe their child may be eligible for services should contact their child's school or the school district.